Open main menu

Changes

Morocco

20 bytes added, 00:49, 27 January 2012
m
no edit summary
== Language ==
The official language is Arabic though the dialects spoken in Morocco and [[Algeria]] are significantly different from Modern Standard Arabic and dialects found in the [[Middle East ]] and other parts of [[Africa]]. French is a common language of business and among educated people and in major cities will be almost universally understood. Many people in the north speak Spanish. The major Berber languages are fascinating but the effort required to learn them is probably too great for a casual tourist.
While spoken by some educated people and those who work in tourism, English is of little use. Be very careful if approached by someone speaking English, they are often looking to make a profit, legitimate or not.
=== Cigarette Scam ===
Travelers including hitchhikers going to [[Mauritania ]] are likely to encounter a cigarette scam in southern cities such as Tiznit and especially Guilmeme. Typically the traveler is engaged by a local who inquires about his or her plans for traveling further and after some discussion is told that to avoid delays and harassment at the Mauritanian frontier he should bring a gift of cigarettes. He may also be told that cigarettes are very expensive in Mauritania and/or Western Sahara and with a pack of cigarettes he can buy everything from a fish to a room in a hotel.
The local will then offer to ‘help’ the traveler buy several cartons of cigarettes for a “very good price” of anywhere from 12 to 20 dirham per pack (120-200 MAD per carton). The cigarettes he proposes are brands only available on the black market.
A personal experience with border crossings:
: “''I was homosexually harassed by an older border policeman while coming from Morocco to [[Ceuta]]. I don´t forgive such, so I approached Moroccan consulates in both [[Malaga ]] and [[London]]. In Malaga they obviously protect such criminals and London wasn´t very helpful either. I did send letters to the ministries of tourism and interior affairs, as well as to the border chief but nobody was interested. So, if you really have to come to this country, make sure you don´t cross the borders alone!''”
== Hitchhiking Events ==