Open main menu

Changes

Montreal

35 bytes added, 15:58, 8 November 2007
no edit summary
On the U.S. side, A-15 becomes Interstate-87 or "The Northway" as it is known in northern New York State. South of Albany, I-87 is known as "The Thruway".
===Border Crossing: Champlain-Lacolle([[New York States|New York]]) ===
A note about the main crossing at [[Quebec highways|A15]] known as "Champlain-Lacolle". It's technically illegal to hitch south from the main crossing as it is an Interstate highway on which pedestrians (including, er, especially hitchhikers) are forbidden. So unless you get a through ride across the border, there are some alternative border crossings to consider other than the main Champlain-Lacolle crossing on [[Quebec highways|A15]] (I-87 on the U.S. side).
====Alternatives to Champlain-Lacolle ([[Quebec highways|A15]]/I-87)====
Overton Corners (US), 6 km south of the village of Lacolle, is a small crossing mostly used by locals and by those in the know. It connects the Quebec route 221 with NY-276 and is about 2 miles east of the main Champlain-Lacolle border crossing that connects [[Quebec highways|A15]] and I-87. Obviously, it's only useful if you can get a lift near there, but is sometimes worth saving the hassle as border guards from both countries are generally more laid-back here.