Changes

Jump to navigation Jump to search

Australia

19 bytes removed, 14:26, 29 October 2012
no edit summary
:''I have hitched the entire coast line of Australia, and although there are sometimes a long wait between rides, I have met some of the most generous and welcoming people, make sure you get to the edge of the towns, just where the highways start or turn from a 70 into a 100, or similar.'' (author unknown)
:''I hitched around 4,000km in the states of NSW, Victoria and South Australia. There are plenty of long layby stop areas along most highways (including pacific highway) where cars can easily and safely pull off the highway to pick you up. I found any highway (especially pacific highway) with a decent amount of traffic is very reliable with average waiting time of 15-20 minutes and never any longer than 30-40 minutes. In more rural areas and backroads I often encountered as little as 10 cars per hour and sometimes only 1-2 per hour, but people living in rural areas are much more likely to pick you up as they know they may be the only car for a while. The people everywhere in Australia Australians are very welcoming and hospitable, on many occasions the driver would offer a place to stay for the night with a meal or insist to give me 20 dollars for food. When hitching in cities, pedestrians have sometimes come to me and again insist they give me money for a train ticket further down the road. I felt very at home hitching here, the generosity of the people being overwhelming." (Jools 2011)
== Cities ==
edits

Navigation menu